Saturday, June 13

I arrived in Seoul Saturday night and took a bus from the airport to Beomgye neighborhood in Angyang. The bus ride was odd because it was full and populated only by me, one other man, and a bunch of chatty teenage girls. The bus driver gave a short speech and bowed to us before we set out. Of course I have no idea what he said. It is a good thing I ened up on the bus to Anyang and not some class field trip. It was exciting to see Chris and Laura again. No awkward social readjustment here. We hung out like no time had passed since last we met.

C&L took me to a cool barbeque place. The waitress corrected Chris's meat-cutting technique, but not mine, so I felt like a pro and made sure to rub it in. It was at this dinner that I had my first taste of soju. It tastes a little like tequila or a sweet vodka, and has a nefarious habit of sneaking up on you. One interesting thing about most restaurants in Seoul, before I continue, is that you summon waiters by pressing a button. They are totally on demand. It is brilliant.



After barbeque, we went to a bar for drinks. On the way there, Chris warned me against establishments with 2 barber poles outside. "One pole means they cut hair. Two means they provide intimate massage," he told me. The interesting thing about these places is not the happy ending or even the double barber pole, but rather their prevalence. There are more of these places in Seoul than there are Dunken Donuts in New England. Don't worry, we steered clear.

We ended up drinking beer at this bar where the owner really likes to play Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson concert videos on a big projection screen. After the bar, we went to a loungy restaurant to get fruity soju drinks. At this point we decided to go to noraebang (singing room), which is like Korean kareoke. On the way we ran into a rabbit vendor who doesn't care if you play with the rabbits.



At noraebang, Chris and I did a lively rendition of Yellow Submarine. Laura tore down the ouse with Zombie by The Cranberries. At this point we were really sloshed and tired, so we went home to C&L's apartment.