Tuesday, June 16

Tuesday started with a trip to the sculpture park with C&L. Don't ask me where it is, because I failed to note that. But do ask me how it was, because it was fantastic! My favorites were the thin statues that played with your sense of perspective. There was also a nice observation tower to climb.

thin statue


how can it exist???


mind bending


yes, it is the same statue... and mega cool


the observation tower


Are these people on the tower cell phone models?


Chris and I reenacted the mirror scene from Enter the Dragon in this sculpture.


kooky


a recycler's dream home


kangashark! there is no escape!


nothing to see here, folks


we lost Laura and thought she had turned into one of these statues


I wonder what lives in these hives...


...giant metal ants!


we had duck for lunch


and these were the best bean sprouts ever tasted by man


My mission for the day was to visit Namdaemun market. To be honest, I didn't really care for it too much. It was neat to see the hustle and bustle. However, the shops and vendors were for the most part uninteresting. Right next to one vendor hawking cheap, mass-produced crap, there would be 5 more selling the exact same stuff. It wasn't all bad, just mostly bad. I ended up buying some honey candy, bean paste dumplings (thinking they were pork), and some metal chopsticks. The vendor at the cooking supply shop who sold me the chopsticks was very friendly, and respectfully not pushy. It was a good sell.



After the market, I went back to C&L's apartment to rest. I listened to some music and had a dumpling. At first I was pissed that I got the wrong kind of dumplings, but they turned out to be pretty delicious. After that I exercised a litte, took a shower, and then watched a pirated copy of Frost/Nixon. I really liked the movie. The fact that I enjoyed that more than the market probably says something about my personality.

At 10:00 I met C&L to hit Anyang station for dinner. We had this awesome dish called jjimdak. It was unlike anything else I ate in Korea. The dish is a meat stew in a brown sauce, rich and spicy. For desert, we went to a coffee and cake cafe, where you order fancy coffee that comes with complimentary cake. It was a little girly. On the way home we passed the "Hip Hop Black Music Club." That one is probably difficult to explain without offending someone or everyone. And yes, that is a scene from Bad Boys II in the background of the Korean writing.